Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Line in the Sand

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/03/13/pope.vatican.ap/

For many of it's failings the Catholic Church has stood firm on many issues, some I agree with and some I don't. The main one I have a problem with is the whole divorce issue. I don't understand the RC stand on this issue, especially if one spouse walks out on the other one. At that point the marriage is over, and unless the RC Church has an efficient means of annulling such marriages they do themselves and their parishioners a great dis-service.

It's one thing if you do the walking out for no good reason, or because you found a young hottie or cabana boy. At that point I totally agree with the RC church that you've sinned against God and need to make it right. I totally agree that if the marriage can be saved every effort needs to be made to make the marriage work. I know that marriages go through rough patches. I've been married for almost 14 years, and we've had some VERY rough patches, but we worked through it, and our marriage is stronger than ever.

It's a totally different scenario if one spouse is addicted to drugs, or is abusing the spouse or kids. That happens more often than not and it's not fair to punish one for the sins of the other. Your husband is raping your kids and abusing you? Too bad stay married is the message the Church is sending and that is very very wrong.