Friday, March 16, 2007

Here's A Novel Thought in Education...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258891,00.html?sPage=fnc.national/education

Hey let's try raising standards for kids instead of dumbing them down. The gist of the article is that a 'D' is no longer good enough to pass and now the same district wants to do the same for 'C' grades, so that if you want to pass you need at least a 'B' to do so. As a future teacher, I fully support the D=F grading policy, the bare minimum should not warrant you passing the class. But I don't know if this is going to far or not. Kids are better at some things than at others. Some excel in math and struggle to get a C in English or History and the other way around. I was one of those kids who could do well in English and History and I readily admit I suck at math and science. I was thrilled my senior year to get a C in my Algebra II class, and to say that's not good enough sticks in my craw a bit. There is a big difference between a 'D' and a 'C' after all. But to say a 'D' is not good enough makes me want to cheer and dance. (Be lucky you can't see me dance!)

And then, this gem is doing the opposite.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252949,00.html?sPage=fnc.national/education

C'mon folks, this is America and we speak English here. I know how hard the language is to master, I am studying to become an English teacher myself and I can't master commas to save my life. But NCLB has been in place for a long time and school have had more than enough time to adapt to it. Too late to come with hat in hand begging for a reprieve. And we wonder why our schools lag? I know that many students are ESL but NCLB became law in 2002 and schools have had 5 years to get this kind of thing done and come up with appropriate substitute tests for ESL students...

Sheesh... Expect nothing get nothing, expect more get more, how hard is that to understand?