Friday, August 15, 2008

Flexibility

Now I know that teachers are supposed to be flexible, in fact it's a must if you want to be successful, but I think I got bent into a pretzel this week. As I noted in my last post, I got traded from the HS to the MS at the Super Cool Prep School, which I think was a blessing in disguise looking back on it. I was made to feel more than welcome by the principal and I really connected with Mrs. W., who came out of retirement to teach at the Super Cool Prep School. Just a couple of examples of how nice the staff and administration are. The principle told me not to go to training today because of my son's party AND helped me edit my appeal letter (something Karlana has also helped with) for Nevada State College. The AP and the other teachers has helped me with lesson planning and materials to start the school year and Mrs. W. wants me to help her with her classes during my prep. Oh, and they were going to get me a laptop even if I wasn't going to be teaching a specific class...

Anyway, I was helping Mrs. W. set up her room when I was asked to do the math training with the other math teachers, which seemed kind of odd considering I'm an English teacher but I went anyway, being a good sport and all... I soon found out why I was asked to be at the training. They are short a math teacher and need me to teach 6th grade math until they can get the right teacher in the classroom. So I suddenly have three days to set up the classroom, get a computer, room key and create lesson plans for at least the first few weeks of the quarter until the new teacher shows up. Can you say stressful? I knew you could. I called my friend Karlana to give her the news that day and yesterday she asked me if I was still teaching math or had been put someplace else. I replied that I was now teaching physics, biology and intermediate Swahili...

Don't get me wrong, I am so excited about starting the new school year it's not funny. I'm also so stressed that I can't sleep. Add in my son's birthday party at Chuck E Cheese and this is going to be one hectic weekend for this English, er Math er Swahili teacher!