Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fire Alarms

You know what? I'm beginning to despise fire alarm/drills! Doing one or two a semester is OK, the alarm goes off you and the kids go to the parking lot and wait to return. No big deal, unless this is the fourth or fifth time since January 7th that you've had that particular joy. And I've had the pleasure of having two in the same flipping day! Good thing I pack aspirin in my bag because those alarms are instant headache generators, and that is supposed to be the student's job! And let's not start with the disruption to class and learning because then you have to get the students settled down again and back on task. I always tell my students that if there is a fire drill and I see less kids come back, I take roll again and if they are not present the 2nd time, they're absent. It works wonders to keep kids from taking the rest of the day off.

Hopefully this plethora of fire drills will pass and things will get back to normal, whatever that is.

Update 1/29... Yep another drill. This makes 5 since Jan 7th., maybe the fire district really likes me...