Monday, June 18, 2007

Where did the water go?

I know, three posts in a day is a record for me.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/2007-06-13-lake-superior_N.htm

For those of you who don't know me, my parents are from Michigan's Upper Peninsula or the U.P., and my family still goes back there on a regular basis to see each other and get away from life for a week or two. Naturally I am interested in what I consider to be my second home and simply had to comment on this.

This is a big deal for both Canada, Wisconsin and The U.P.; many of the towns on the shore rely on shipping, boating and tourists for much of their income. When the water drops like is has here people suffer. Now I don't know why it's happening, I do know that they've had some dry seasons and this has certainly led to levels dropping. I don't think it's some sort of conspiracy because there is too much money at stake to pull a stunt like that. It's just one of those things. Still, I'd like nothing better than to see it return to its glory.